How Christian Meditation Can Help You to Draw Closer to God?
“In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.”
Psalms 46:10 declares, “Be still and know that I am God. Could busyness and distractions be getting in the way of a more intimate relationship with Christ? It’s so easy to get bogged down with the “cares of the world” and neglect our time and fellowship with the Father. Many years ago I was an active church-goer. I taught Sunday School and was involved in almost every ministry out there. At about 10 years of faithful service my heart began to yearn for something more. I lost my vigor for church and its activities. I began to sense that there had to be more to this walk of faith.
It was also around that time that I was also battling chronic depression. I would ask myself, “How could I be a Christian and be so depressed? Aren’t I suppose to have the joy of the Lord?” Around that same time, I pretty much stopped going to church. I got tired of leaving there feeling just as unhappy as when I arrived. Then something happened. I began to seek the Messiah on my own. I began to read the scriptures and journal. I also began to just sit in silence with the Lord or play soft music in the background. I literally felt the presence of God enter my room. This is when I believe I really met the Lord and learned to abide in His Presence. I got a hunger for the Lord like never before and as a result grew stronger in my faith and commitment to the Messiah. Years later, after receiving a divine healing encounter with God, I started this ministry to help others not only know of God but to know Him in a more intimate way. I also wanted believers to understand the often overlooked link between their thoughts, emotions, and actions.
Busyness is draining and weakness us spiritually. When we get so used to striving, we forget to cast our cares upon the Lord. He is the supplier of everything we need. The enemy wants to keep us active so that we have no real room the God. Going to church and fellowshipping with other believers is good, but it doesn’t take the place of being with God and abiding in His presence. It reminds me of the story of Mary and Martha. Martha was so busy cleaning and cooking that she became upset with Mary who just wanted to sit at the Messiah’s feet. But instead of scolding Mary, our Savior told Martha to settle down, Mary’s choice was best.
In addition, when we spend quiet time with the Messiah, our spiritual hearing becomes clearer. We are better able to distinguish His voice and are more sensitive to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. With so many decisions to make and paths to choose it’s imperative, especially in these end times, to have a free and unhindered channel with God. Toxic thoughts and emotions like fear, doubt, and unforgiveness literally choke God’s light right out of our life. Scriptures say that if our eye is evil our whole body is full of darkness. When that happens we lose sight of our true purpose and being and can get easily side-tracked into seeking the things of this world. Maintaining a pure mind and heart will ensure that we will hear God, and He will hear us when we need Him.
Why It Works?
John 14:24 declares, “God is a Spirit and those who worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in Truth.” The Spirit is power and the presence of God and we get the truth by reading and meditating upon His Word, the Rhema of God. To have a balanced walk, we need both, otherwise, we can become too spiritual (in the clouds) or legalistic (no spirit or power). Abiding in God’s Presence while meditating upon His Word incorporates both the Spirit and the Word and allows us to create a greater space in our lives to know God and grow in wisdom. Biblical meditation helps us to surrender our lives to Him moment by moment allowing God to influence every area and situation we may encounter.
In our fast-paced society it is very difficult to carve out time to just be with Christ. Even when we do, we might be a little uncertain how to spend that time. Bible studies and prayer is wonderful, but do you know that sometimes God just wants to BE WITH YOU! In the Bible, Mary was commended by Christ when she decided to just sat at His feet and listened to Him while Martha busied herself doing for the Lord. Many of us equate Christian service and activity with fellowship with God, but these are quite different. It is very easy to have a head or church relationship with Christ without knowing Him intimately. And how do we get to know someone intimately, we spend time with them! Jesus wants to abide with us. He wants to comfort us and to take all of our cares and concerns. The Bibles says that "in his presences is fullness of joy." If we need a little more joy, hanging out with God is one way to get it.
Therefore, if you are desiring to Draw Closer to the Lord, some of the best ways to meditate are to just put on some soft music and dwell in His presence. That’s it, just dwell. Another method is to use a guided Christian meditation CD that focuses on God’s works, glory, and His creation. These types of narratives take our minds off of ourselves and our circumstances and puts them on God. Instead of dwelling on our problems, we want to dwell on God’s greatness to solve them. I would also recommend that you set a daily Date with God. Within that time you spend with the Lord you can listen to a guided meditation, journal, write and speak out scripture affirmations, and visualize what you want to achieve. We are to speak those things as though they were. God said He will do exceedingly abundantly above what we could ask for or think, so let's starting imagining greater things from God!
My Personal Recommendations:
- Subscribe and get a Free Copy of The Christian Meditator's Power Hour Routine. Use this as a template for your daily devotional or quiet time with God. My Date with God Devotional Guide is similar but more indepth as it provides a more comprehensive study and many tools for healing, getting organized, and manifesting your vision.
- Incorporate a time of silence or guided meditation into your daily schedule. Choose from a variety of guided meditations downloads, bundles, or CDs. Some suggested bundles include Worshiping God and The Best of Christian Meditation. Look for guided meditations that glorify the Lord.
- Consider taking my upcoming Yogis for Christ classes. These classes are more than Christ-centered yoga, it is a devotional unto Yashiya that includes prayer, song, lesson, and meditation to renew the mind, learn Yah's Word and create greater intimacy with God while getting a great workout.
Some suggested meditations and affirmations:
- Abiding in Christ
- Blessed Be the Names of God
- I Surrender
- In His Presence
- Secret Place
- In Everything Give Thanks
- Glory to God
- Morning Devotion
- When I Open My Eyes
Enjoy a Few Moments of the Abiding with Christ Biblical Meditation
- Sit Back!
- Get Comfortable!
- Close Your Eyes!
Biblical Meditation Helps Grow in More Intimacy By Helping Us To:
- Give God the First Fruits of our day and over our lives.
- Subduing the flesh and it’s nature
- Give’s God more space to work in our lives
- Makes us more sensitive to the Holy Spirit and His Promptings
- Reset our spiritual senses
- Provides much needed time for rest or Sabbath
- Enjoy the benefits of fellowshipping with God one-on-one.
- Cast all of our cares to the Lord
- Demonstrate our trust in God
- Let go and let God
- Break our longing and attachments to the world
- Feel and experience God’s presence.
- Worship God and give Him glory.
What Makes My Christian Meditations and Affirmations Different From Other Guided Meditations or Courses?
- Soft and relaxing background music.
- A unique focus on the Scriptures with the ultimate purpose of helping believers draw closer the the Messiah.
- Meditations and Affirmations specifically created for believers.
- Contains a guided progress relaxation to melt away stress as you dwell in the Most High's Presence.
- An emphasis on inner healing that allows believers to surrender and cast ALL their hurts, cares, and burdens on our Savior.
- Believers never have to worry about whether they're compromising their faith.
- Over 10 years of experience creating Biblical meditations and similar products that have changed the lives of tens of thousands of users.